Welcome to the Cherry Hinton Bellringers' website
We are the band of bellringers, who ring the church bells at St Andrew's Church,
Cherry Hinton, Cambridge.
We have a weekly practice night at 19:30 on Tuesdays, and ring for Sunday services at 09:25. Specific
times can be found using the link in the panel on the left.
We are always pleased to welcome visitors or those who are interested to learn more
For more information, please contact us using the link at the top of the page.
Latest News and Updates
- Cherry Hinton bellringers celebrate the Centenary of the WW1 Armistice 19:05 Sunday 11 November 2018
The local band, including Caroline Hough who learnt to ring as part of Ringing Remembers,
rang rounds and call changes to mark the occasion.
Photo by Chris Shore
- Last practice night before removal of ancient coffin lid from the tower wall
Tuesday 8th May 2018
For historical background, see A History St Andrew's, Cherry Hinton
Photos by Amanda Cator
- Cherry Hinton bellringers and City Singers in a 'Bells at Christmas' service to dedicate the new Cherry Hinton handbells on Advent Sunday 16:00-17:00 Sunday 3rd December 2017. Open ringing from 15:20.
Photo by Catriona Shearer
- Ian Ager - First Quarter Peal of Kent Treble Bob Minor Sunday 9th July 2017
A Quarter Peal of Kent Treble Bob Minor was rung.
- BBC Music Day 2017 Thursday, 15 June 2017
A Quarter Peal of Grandsire Doubles was rung by regular members of the Cherry Hinton band to celebrate the Sapphire Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Renee Tanburn - First Quarter Peal of Doubles Tuesday 23rd May 2017
A Quarter Peal of Plain Bob Doubles was rung by regular members of the Cherry Hinton band.
- Official 90th Birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth II Sunday 12th June 2016
A Quarter Peal of Grandsire Doubles was rung by regular members of the Cherry Hinton band to celebrate the Official 90th birthday of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- 90th Birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth II Thursday 21 April 2016
A Peal of Cambridge Surprise and Plain Bob Minor was rung by members of the Ely Diocesan Association to celebrate the 90th birthday of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the 65th birthday of the conductor and the birthday of Samantha Gorman. It was Tom Ridgman's first peal as conductor.
- First Quarter Peal of Reverse Canterbury Pleasure Place Doubles Sunday 17th April 2016
Ian Ager rang his first Quarter Peal of Reverse Canterbury Pleasure Place Doubles.
- 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day Saturday 9 May 2015
The bells in Cherry Hinton were ringing out just after 11am on Saturday 9 May 2015 in celebration of the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe Day, following a request from the Government to mark the occasion with the ringing of as many church bells as possible over the country.
- Quarter Peal for The Reverend Barry Linney Sunday 19th April 2015
A Quarter Peal of Grandsire Doubles was rung by regular members of the band as a farewell compliment to The Reverend Barry Linney, Vicar of St Andrew's Cherry Hinton as he moves to Chatham, Kent.
- Cherry Hinton Ringers Essex outing Saturday 18th April 2015 details
- Cherry Hinton Tower Open Evening Tuesday 16 September 2014
Cherry Hinton Bellringers held an open evening at the tower for the Cherry Hinton Festival.
We were delighted to welcome a number of Cherry Hinton residents
into the tower to learn more and have a go at ringing bells.
We displayed a range of photos of the bells and the augmentation in 1976.
A wide range of refreshments were provided by regular tower visitors.
Thank you everyone for making this a successful evening.
- World War I commemoration quarter peal Sunday 3 August 2014
On the weekend of 2-3 August Cherry Hinton church
held a commemoration weekend to remember the outbreak of World War I. The church hosted a range of events during the weekend,
including a concert of wartime songs and an exhibition showing details of Cherry Hinton residents who had been involved in the
war, and village life at that time.
Cherry Hinton bellringers rang a quarter peal
ahead of the First World War commemoration service held at the chuurch on Sunday 3 August.
Many local residents and members of the congregation arrived while the quarter peal was rung to listen
and remember those who had lost their lives in the conflict.
The quarter peal was dedicated especially to the
uncle of a regular church member at her request – Cyril Frederick Smee,
killed on the Somme on 17 August 1916, aged 20 years.
- District Striking Competition Saturday 12 July 2014 details
- Tour de France Quarter Peal afternoon 7 July 2014 details
- Quarter peals of April Day and May Day Doubles 11 May 2014 details
- East Anglian Regional Handbell Team Concert 10 May 2014 details
- Quarter peal day 29 March 2014 details
- Cambridge Ringers Ipswich outing 15 March 2014 details
- Quarter Peal to celebrate the Christening, today, of HRH Prince George of Cambridge. 23 October 2013 details
- Quarter Peal wishing Ian Baxter and Holly Clarke all the best as they move to their new home in Stevenage. 21 September 2013 details
- Bellringing ringing team awarded the wooden spoons in the Cherry Hinton Festival Quiz Night. 20th September 2013
- The (now annual) Ely DA quarter peal day was hosted and organised by ringers from Cherry Hinton. 14th September 2013
Around 40 ringers attended the ploughman's tea and meeting. Eight quarter peals were attempted. Six were scored,
quarter peal 1 and
quarter peal 2 at Cherry Hinton
- Visit from Paul Windels of the North American Guild of Change Ringers (NAGCR) Summer 2013
"St Andrew's Cherry Hinton offered another six and a fun band led by Amanda Cator, and we managed to achieve Amanda's goal for the evening of a spliced touch of Cambridge and Ipswich, together with some very clean touches of Single Oxford."
- Quarter Peal in celebration of the birth of HRH the Prince of Cambridge, first born son of TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 23rd July 2013 details
- Quarter Peal for the 60th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II 2nd June 2013 details
- Peal of Cambridge Surpise Minor dedicated to the memory of Geoff Pearson 27th May 2013 details
- "All The Bells" ringing added: 27 July 2012...more